- What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I got to see a little bit of California’s wine country! So lovely, I want to go back.
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t usually make real resolutions, but in 2012 I’m going to continue improving my domestic diva-ness: canning my own food and sewing my own quilt.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend, Erin, had her daughter, Lillian, last New Year’s Eve.
- Did anyone close to you die?
Jason’s uncle (aka Dad #2), Fred, passed away in August. My mom’s uncle, Roger, passed away in September.
- What countries did you visit?
I decided to stay in the US this year… (I should use my passport more.)
- What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Paint on the walls in my home, a comfortable crafting room (“lady town”), and my dream bathroom. We have a lot of housework to do in 2012! (And thanks to my generous siblings, we have a very good head-start with our home improvement funds.)
- What date(s) from 2011 will remain etched your memory, and why?
Over the 4th of July weekend I photographed a very lovely half-Indian, half-Scottish wedding. August 21st was the day Uncle Fred lost his battle with cancer. July 29th was the day Jason closed on the house. (There were a lot of good days mixed in with bad days this year.)
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Advancing my career as a web chick (aka web developer)!
- What was your biggest failure?
Not paying off more debt.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
Excellent timing: I was diagnosed with an ear infection about two days prior to my insurance ending with my previous employer — and I would’ve had to wait another month for my insurance with my new employer to kick in!
- What was the best thing you bought?
Movers really helped me out mid-August (as did my fantastic brother-in-law).
- Where did most of your money go?
I’m honestly not sure — a lot of little things really add up, I guess.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving into the house with the man I love! Also, becoming more of a domestic diva: cooking for Thanksgiving dinner with friends, canning, gardening (next year), knitting, and sewing.
- What song(s) will always remind you of 2011?
Cloud Cult’s “Running with the Wolves.”
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? Happier!
- thinner or fatter? About the same, though my new employer feeds me a lot and I haven’t been walking or standing as much.
- richer or poorer? A little bit richer, but still working on paying off that pile of debt!
- What do you wish youâ€™d done more of?
Crafting, reading, hanging out with friends.
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wallowing in depression about money.
- How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
Over the last couple days, Jason and I were in South Dakota with my family. This afternoon we’re celebrating Bertine & Zach’s wedding. In another two weekends, we’ll be celebrating with Jason’s family in Iowa.
- Did you fall in love in 2011?
I fell more in love, if that’s even possible.
- How many one-night stands?
I try to stand at least once every night.
- What was your favorite TV program?
The Walking Dead. It makes me nervous and I can’t watch it without Jason being around, but it’s so well written and acted!
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I try not to use this word/feel this emotion.
- What was the best book you read?
The only book I read this year was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, but I did very much enjoy it.
- What was/were your greatest musical discoveries?
Florence + The Machine is probably my favorite from this year.
- What did you want and get?
For the last five months or so, I’ve been dying to trade in my Android for an iPhone, but it was never financially feasible. I was going to wait until next month to take the plunge, but my sweetie did some sneaking around and got me an iPhone for Christmas! I may or may not have cried (just a little bit). (Excitement, you know?) (Who am I kidding? I cry at everything.)
- What was your favorite film of this year?
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30 this past November. I had a couple friends visiting, Bridget and Lindy. We went to brunch at Fat Nat’s Eggs, visited the Museum of Russian Art and IKEA, then for dinner (with Jason and Kristi joining) we made Tater Tot Hot Dish and watched both of the final Harry Potter movies back-to-back. It was a great day!
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If our girl kitties would just (at least) tolerate each other.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Too poor to shop for clothing, make do with what I have.
- What kept you sane?
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I very much enjoyed watching Will & Kate’s Royal Wedding (and seeing what she wore and her jewelry and etc. etc. etc.)
- What political issue stirred you the most?
I don’t know, I’m not really very political (out loud, I guess).
- Who did you miss?
Friends from South Dakota (I didn’t make it home enough this year).
- Who was the best new person you met?
I met a lot of new people this year — my new team at work, friends’ friends, or people just passing through my life’s adventures.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Just breathe. Everything will work out.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Then lights they fill the air, or were they always there?
I finally see it. I finally see it.
And I heard the captain say, I heard the captain say,
“You’re always close to it, so very close to it.”
There’s so much energy in us.